* Mr. Ilario Gregory Pantano, former United States Marine Corps second lieutenant, author, television commentator,and Wilmington, NC Deputy Sheriff is the Director, Division of North Carolina Veterans Affairs. Mr. Pantano was guest speaker at the July 21, 2015 regular meeting of the New River Chapter held at the Ashe County Arts Council building in West Jefferson, NC.
* Prior to the meeting, Mr. Pantano and several members of the Chapter met at the Ashe County Chamber of Commerce for a meeting with local media and are shown at the right (upper photo, L to R): CDR-Ret. Mac Hunt, USN, COL-Ret. Charles Knapp, USA 1st VP of the New River Chapter, Mr. Pantano, Darryl Vaughn, Ashe County VSO, COL-Ret. Jeri Graham, USA President, North Carolina Council of Chapters and CAPT-Ret. Doug Ehrhardt, USN President of the New River Chapter, MOAA.
* Shown in the lower photo are the Ashe County Honor Guard members who presented the colors at the evening event (L to R): Secretary/Treasurer of the Guard, Sandy Adams, James Ellis, Jr. Vice Commander and Everett Adams, Sr. Vice Commander. Special thanks to these members of the Honor Guard for their presentation of the colors at the event.
* Scroll over the thumbnail pictures to the right to see additional photographs from the event that was held at the Ashe County Arts Council in West Jefferson, NC.
* The evening event was attended by more than 60 local residents, chapter members, veterans and representatives from the DAV and MCL.
* During his presentation, Mr. Pantano referred attendees to open/read information that is contained in this newly minted NC4VETS Resource Guide that contains valuable information to assist or support veterans in our county; this electronic version on the North Carolina Council of Chapters website is downloadable and searchable.
* Col-Ret. Mike Hayden, USAF, National MOAA Legislative Liaison, was our guest speaker at the July regular membership meeting.
* Mike is also a regular contributor to MOAA's monthly Military Officer magazine where he keeps MOAA's 390,000 members knowledgeable on insuring that Congress is informed on issues related to pay and benefits.
* Mike shared his expertise for more than 1 1/2 hours at our regular membership meeting, and also provided answers to numerous questions posed by the more than 50 people who attended.
* The meeting was held at the Fellowship Hall of the Mount Jefferson Presbyterian Church due to a conflict with the location of the Ashe Arts Council as a primary voting site.
* Follow the below link to open and view photographs from the meeting.
Link: Click here:
* The regular membership meeting was held on July 16th at the Coffee House on the Backstreet.
* The program for the evening included a discussion about the new MOAA National membership program that was rolled out in 2013.
* Also, the Chapter officers and BOD shared information regarding the upcoming August 9, 2013 meeting at which time our chapter will co-host the 3rd Quarterly meeting of the North Carolina Council of Chapters. Everyone was encouraged to volunteer for a variety of activities that will be needed to ensure the meeting is successful.
Link: Click here: