May 19, 2018
* The third annual Marathon Jam was held on May 19, noon to midnight in the Ashe County Arts Council building.
* While pickin’ and grinnin,’ both awareness and funds were raised for military families by supporting the Fisher Houses at Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg.
* Each of the musicians who participated for all 12 hours of the jam - noon to midnight - were rewarded with the designation "Iron Picker." They are shown in the photograph (below right).
* Several times during the day-long event, time was taken to honor the service of veterans and present them with a quilt made by the Ashe County Piecemakers Quilt Guild. Look at the thumbnails to the right to see many of the beautiful quilts that were used to wrap the veterans in it's warming support for their service and sacrifice.
Link: Click here to view pictures of the many veterans honored at the event:
November 9, 2017
* Veterans can receive free tickets to the HEROES DAY Appalachian State football game against Georgia Southern at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 9th, 2017...after following the link, scroll down to the FEATURED EVENT for details on how to get a free ticket as well as a ticket for a guest for only $20.
* Veterans and guests are also invited to come and enjoy a Heroes Day tailgate celebration beginning at 4:00 p.m. at Duck Pond at the entrance to Stadium Drive on the AppState campus.
Message from Director Mel Gibson
* The inspirational movie about WWII Medal of Honor winner Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who saved the lives of 75 of his fellow soldiers in Okinawa opened in more than 3000 theaters in the U.S. on November 4th. In the attached video clip, director Mel Gibson shared a special message of gratitude to veterans for their service and the power of Desmond Doss's faith that enabled his extraordinary service on the battlefield.
* The New River Chapter hosted two pre-opening day showings of the film at the Parkway Theater in West Jefferson, NC on November 2nd and 3rd...tickets were made available to all Ashe County Veterans on a first-come, first-serve basis as there were only 160 seats available each evening. We wish there could have been more as the response was remarkable.
* Special thanks go out to the many generous sponsors, shown here, who helped our Chapter to make this available for our counties veterans.
* Please share with fellow veterans, and GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!
* To learn more about Desmond Doss, click here.
* To get more information on the production of the movie, click here.
September 20, 2016
* As part of a DoD initiative to recognize and thank veterans of the Vietnam War, a 50th Anniversary Vietnam Commemorative Display and Vietnam Veterans Recognition event was held on September 20, 2016 from 5:00 - 7:30 PM at the Museum of Ashe County History in Jefferson, NC. The event was sponsored in conjunction with the North Carolina Council of Chapters, a DoD 50th Vietnam War Commemorative Partner.
* All veterans - anyone who served between the years 1955 and 1975 - were encouraged to sign in and place a pin on a map of Vietnam to designate where they were stationed during the war. A formal recognition ceremony was held to provide a certificate of appreciation and a lapel pin to each veteran attending the ceremony.
* The New River Chapter's Program chair and Co-President, COL Charles Knapp, USA (Ret) recently published a flyer which contains information on the dates and locations for chapter activities in 2016.
* Click on the file image (right) to see an expanded flyer and print one out for saving to your own personal calendar, or share with others!
June 11-14, 2015
* The North Carolina Council of Chapters holds a statewide convention for all 17 chapters, their officers AND members on a biennial basis.
* The last convention was the February 2014 "Convention at Sea" that left Charleston, SC for 5 days to the Bahamas.
* In 2015, a "Land Option" has been selected and Chapters are invited to set aside June 11-14, 2015 for a wonderful getaway to the High Hampton Inn situated in the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains in Cashiers, NC.
* Click on the below link to open the page on the North Carolina Council website and learn all about this wonderful vacation opportunity!!
Link: Click here: