May 31, 2016
* Ashe County "Thank a Vet" program goes live.
* A new program honoring vets began on May 31st...go by the Ashe County Courthouse with your DD214 to enroll and get your discount card. If you have already registered your DD214 with the Register of Deeds then you won't need to bring a copy. Just have a photo taken, get your new card and start saving!
* Click here for a list of participating businesses and check back often as new ones are being added on a regular basis.
* Tyler Wadsworth, the first recipient of the New River Chapter's MOAA leadership award reached his goal of becoming an officer when he was commissioned a Naval Ensign and will soon report to NAS Pensacola to begin flight training and become a naval aviator.
* Very proud parents Tony Thomason and Cynthia Wadsworth sent the attached photographs and reported that Tyler had a wonderful college experience at Auburn University. He was able to study in Australia one semester and also changed majors which took another year of study, but the Navy supported him and his goal.
* At graduation, Tyler stopped on stage to take a selfie (below right) with the Auburn University NROTC Commanding Officer, CAPT Paul Esposito along with fellow officer, Ensign Waddell.
The below, downloadable file is the 2010 Chapter news article (page 3) of the ACHS JROTC award ceremony.
Link: June 2010 "New River Current"
May 21, 2016
* Ashe County’s New River Chapter of the Military Officers Association of American brought the first annual acoustic music Marathon Jam to Ashe County. A community service, the Jam was held with the cooperation and support of the member veteran’s organizations of the Ashe County Veteran’s Coalition and partnership of the Ashe County Arts Council, USAA, Rooster Ridge Arts, and Marathon Jam’s founder musician John Santa.
* Pictured below right, a Marathon Jam quilt is hung at the entrance to the Ashe County Arts Council on the 21st of May.
* Mouse over the thumbnail photographs to see additional photographs from the 1st Annual Ashe County Marathon Jam.
* Below, open a downloadable file that details what a Marathon Jam is and how to participate/get involved.
May 27, 2016
* The photograph (right) was taken at the Ashe County High School award ceremony on May 27, 2016.
* New River Chapter Co-President, Charles Knapp, COL, USA, Ret., presented the award to Brianna who was also named East Tennessee State Roan Scholar receiving a full tuition scholarship as part of the Class of 2018.
* Congratulations Brianna!
May 23, 2016
* The photograph (right) was taken at the Wilkes Central High School award ceremony at the Stone Family Center for Performing Arts in North Wilkesboro, NC on May 23, 2016.
* New River Chapter Personal Affairs Chair, Barbara Sears, surviving spouse of RADM Scott Sears, USN, in whose honor the Scholarship Award is named presented the award.
* Congratulations Cadet Walker!
May 14 & 17, 2016
* The New River Chapter presented MOAA Leadership Awards for the three Junior Reserve Officer Training Programs - 2 AF JROTC and 1 USA JROTC - in our catchment area, as follows:
* On May 14, 2016 Chapter Secretary Col Ken Lynn participated in the Wilkes Central High School AF JROTC Award Ceremony at the North Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church that consisted of a sit down dinner with families and school administrators. Following the rendering of honors and presentation of the colors, the AF JROTC program was held and awards presented. The picture (above right) is AF JROTC Cadet Logan Jones who was the MOAA Leadership award recipient, along with the Commander and Assistant Principal of Wilkes Central HS.
* On May 17, 2016 Chapter Board Member LCDR Steve Tucker participated in the North Wilkes High School AF JROTC Award Ceremony which was held at the school cafeteria. The program included a dinner buffet for families and school administrators in attendance; honors were rendered to the colors, and the AF JROTC cadets held a formal ceremony at which time awards were presented. The picture (below right) is the MOAA Leadership Award recipient, AF JROTC Cadet Rosa Munoz-Maya.
* On May 17, 2017 Chapter Co-President Lou Burge participated in the JROTC award program at Ashe County High School. The MOAA Leadership award recipient was Cadet Jacob Evans-Shepherd (thumbnail photograph, right).