* As members of our local chapter - the New River Chapter - many, if not most, will have, or have already received an e-mail that is part of the News Exchange Alerts sent to the national MOAA membership roster (if you have signed up for same).
* The below link can be followed to open/read the annual letter from VADM Norb Ryan, President, MOAA which contains a wealth of information on the work done by our Association in the last year. It is a worthwhile read for all!!
Link: Click here:
May 30, 2014
* The New River Chapter President, CAPT-Ret. Doug Ehrhardt, MSC USN, attended the May 30th Ashe County High School Senior Awards Day and presented a certificate to graduating senior Cadet Captain Kayla Osborne for $1000.
* This is the second year that our Chapter has made an award to a deserving JROTC student as part of our Rear Admiral Scott L. Sears, USN Memorial Scholarship program.
* Kayla's certificate is also shown (right); she will be attending UNC Charlotte.
May 26, 2014
* The High Country Chapter, MOAA will host their 8th Memorial Day Celebration at the Boone Mall in Boone, NC on Monday, May 26th.
* Click on the below YouTube video from the local television's Good Times, Good People broadcast which featured President George Brudzinski detailing the event which begins @ 11:00, but due to overwhelming attendance, it is recommended that interested persons arrive at 10:30 which is when the Wautaga Community Band will begin playing a medley of patriotic music.
* Also on the program will be "Generation Excellent," a group of home schooled students from Ashe County who will present a redux of their wonderful performance on America...
* Don't miss this wonderful tribute to all our North Carolina veterans.
May 20, 2014
* The New River Chapter honored Cadet Captain Joshua Goodman, the ACHS JROTC Leadership nominee, at a ceremony during the May 20th regular membership meeting at the Coffee House on the Backstreet.
* The ACHS schedule as the school year was closing did not allow for a regular underclass assembly where our Chapter has made the award in prior years. Therefore, the Officers and Board of Directors decided to invite Cadet Goodman and family to our meeting.
* In the cover photo (upper right), President Doug Ehrhardt congratulates Cadet Goodman on the honor of being the MOAA Leadership awardee for 2014.
* The photo (lower right) has Cadet Goodman flanked by President Ehrhardt, Secretary Ken Lynn and 1st VP Charles Knapp.
Scroll over the thumbnail pictures to see additional pictures from the ceremony:
- Cadet Captain Goodman is pictured with President Ehrhardt and the ACHS JROTC NCO, SFC David Smith.
- Cadet Goodman is flanked by his sister Whitney and parents Tim and Michelle Goodman who were in attendance at the award ceremony.
May 3, 2014
* Pictured (L to R): Wilkes Central HS AF JROTC Senior Aerospace Science Instructor and New River Chapter member LtCol Tim Fuller, USAF-Ret., MOAA Leadership awardee AF JROTC Cadet Staff Sergeant Taylor Locklear and New River Chapter Secretary Col. Ken Lynn, USAF-Ret.
* Cadet Locklear is the Charlie Flight Commander and the Public Affairs Officer for the AF JROTC unit.
* Congratulations Cadet Locklear.
May 8, 2014
* Pictured (L to R): North Wilkesboro HS AF JROTC Technical Sergeant (C/TSgt) Jared Kilby, MOAA Leadership awardee with New River Chapter Personal Affairs Chair Barbara Sears.
* MAJ Brad Kitts, Senior Aerospace Science Instructor, North Wilkesboro AF JROTC is pictured at the podium.
* Congratulations Cadet Kilby.
April 15, 2014
* New River's Col.-Ret. Ken Lynn, USAF, Chapter Secretary was awarded the MOAA Leadership Award by CAPT-Ret. Doug Ehrhardt, USN, President at the regular membership meeting in April.
* Ken's outstanding contributions to our chapter, as well as sustained, superior performance in producing our award winning New River Current newsletter six times/year during the four years since our chapter's chartering in 2009 were recognized with a letter from MOAA President VADM-Ret. Norb Ryan, USN and a lapel pin.
* Pictured (right) is Doug's presentation of the letter and pinning of the lapel pin to Ken's nametag...Ken remarked that had he known he was to receive an award, he would have worn something with a lapel for his evening's attire!
* Click on the below, downloadable file to open/read the commendation letter from VADM Ryan.
* CONGRATULATIONS, Col. Lynn!